Seasonal Field Steward
Crested Butte Land Trust
Building on 27 years of conservation and land stewardship, the Crested Butte Land Trust seeks a part-time Seasonal Field Steward. The Field Steward’s primary role is to support the Land Trust’s Stewardship team in managing its diverse portfolio of conserved land and trails. These duties will vary from fence-work to trail maintenance and noxious weed mitigation work. Additionally, the Field Steward is expected to assist with annual property monitoring of multiple land types, from working ranches to river riparian areas and alpine basins.
This is a part-time position (24-30hours/week) that will begin June 1st and conclude August 31st.
Reports to: Stewardship Director
- Assist Stewardship team with summer fieldwork, including fence work, trail maintenance, sign installation, and general property management needs.
- Conduct weekly monitoring on Land Trust conservation easements and fee-owned properties.
- Serve as a community stewardship advocate, helping promote responsible use of conserved land and trails.
- Maintain tools and equipment.
- Help coordinate and implement noxious weed programming needs.
- Help oversee 2-week Youth Corps Crew secured to help with July fieldwork.
- Assist Stewardship team with river-use data collection, making use of infrared counters and respective software.
- Assist with, and attend, Land Trust events as requested.
- Conduct property site visits following all 2018 weddings held on Land Trust sites during the employment period.
- Valid driver’s license and own transportation.
- Duties will include physical labor in potentially uncomfortable field conditions (heat, cold, water, bugs).
- Flexible schedule; job duties may require long hours and occasional evenings and weekends.
- Familiarity with Crested Butte trails and geography.
- Familiarity with noxious weed species and management techniques.
- Trail work experience.
- Familiarity with ranching and fencing.
- Proven attention to detail.
- Demonstrated desire to learn and apply new concepts quickly.
- Perform well as part of a team as well as individually with minimal supervision.
- Strong communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
Please send resume, cover letter and three references to Stewardship Director, Hedda Peterson at Hedda@cblandtrust.org by Friday, March 30th.