Planned Giving

Other ways to give

Leave a legacy

Conservation lasts forever – in the cool, clean water flowing through the rivers, along the trails, and in the memories of kids and families who enjoy Crested Butte’s spectacular wildflowers each summer.

The term “planned giving” means preparing a future gift to the Land Trust. This type of gift requires planning in the present to make sure that your legacy is prepared according to your wishes. A planned gift helps ensure the future of the Land Trust’s work, while providing you with tax benefits or additional income.

It’s simple to do–and the impact lasts for generations.

Learn more about other ways to give

  • Contact Jake Jones

    (970) 349-1206

  • Codicil Club

    We would love to recognize your planned gift with a membership into our Codicil Club

A bequest can be made by naming the Crested Butte Land Trust as a charitable beneficiary either in your existing will (by adding an update, called a codicil) or when establishing a new will.

Suggested Language: “I give, devise and bequeath to the Crested Butte Land Trust, of Crested Butte, Colorado, assets having a value equal to __% of my gross estate to be used for its general charitable purposes.”

You can also name the Crested Butte Land Trust as a beneficiary of your retirement plan. IRA’s, 401k’s, 403b’s are popular and effective saving vehicles. If you name the Land Trust as a beneficiary in the event of premature death, none of the asset is subject to tax.

If you are considering a gift of land, please call  Jake Jones, Executive Director at (970) 349-1206 to discuss your interest and goals, so we can match it with our conservation strategy. All conversations are without obligation and confidential. If your land has significant conservation values, and no heir is available to protect your land; or if you own highly appreciated property, or have substantial real estate holdings which may result in high capital gains or estate tax burdens, a donation of land to the Crested Butte Land Trust may be an attractive option. All rights to the land are transferred to the Crested Butte Land Trust, resulting in an income tax deduction for the full appraised value of the land, reduced estate taxes, and reduction of property taxes.

Transferring a gift of stock is easy to do, and is tax deductible to the fullest extent permitted by law. Your gift amount is based on the current market of value of the stock when you donate it. A gift of appreciated securities is a great way to avoid capital gains taxes, receive an income tax deduction, and support land and water conservation.

If you desire to make a gift of stock, please ask your broker to transfer the stock to the Crested Butte Land Trust and advise that it can be handled via DTC (Depository Trust Corporation) to:

Crested Butte Land Trust
Morgan Stanley Smith Barney
Tulsa, Oklahoma
DTC# 0188
TD Ameritrade Account Number: 489-850971
Federal Identification Number: 84-1190830

Once you have made your gift, please notify Noel Durant, Executive Director, as your stock donation will arrive without naming you as the donor. You can either call Noel at 970.349.1206, or send him an email at We will not receive notification from your broker – and we most definitely want to thank you for your generosity and send you a tax receipt.

If you enjoy the freedom a second home offers, you may be looking to reduce your estate for tax planning purposes. You can make a generous gift of your home to the Land Trust with the caveat that you retain the right to lifetime use and enjoyment. You will receive income tax benefits in the year of the gift.

Creating a charitable remainder trust can provide a substantial deduction on your income taxes and a reduction in estate taxes. These trusts are often created with properties (real estate or stock), which have a large capital gain. The donor creates the trust and receives back income of at least 5% for life or a term of years, and no capital gains taxes are paid. At the end of the life term or term of years, the property is distributed to the Crested Butte Land Trust for its conservation work.

Naming the Crested Butte Land Trust as the beneficiary of your life insurance policy is an easy way to make a sizable gift you may not have thought possible. When you irrevocably sign over ownership of your policy to the Land Trust, you will receive an immediate charitable deduction (usually very close to the policy’s cash value).

If you donate a conservation agreement, you can still live on and manage your land. The taxable value of your existing land within the estate is significantly reduced, in many cases allowing agricultural or recreational land to remain in the family without significant tax consequences.

The Crested Butte Land Trust encourages gifts of real estate. Whether you have land to donate for its environmental or conservation value, or land that we can sell or trade to raise funds to preserve critical open space, it is all valuable to the Land Trust. This is a gift than can be given during life or bequeathed to the Land Trust to reduce the value of your estate.

By using the charitable lead trust estate tool, you may provide valuable income to the Land Trust now, while holding onto the assets you prefer to gift to your heirs. This is a great way to help the Land Trust presently and to see the fruits of your gift during your lifetime, while preserving the trust property for your heirs. With this tool, you can transfer assets, such as cash, stocks and artwork, to a trust for a set term of years. Each year, payments are made from the trust to the Crested Butte Land Trust. It is called a lead trust because the charity (the Land Trust) is entitled to the lead (or first) interest in the trust asset, and the noncharitable beneficiary (your heir) receives the remainder (or second-in-line) interest. Once the trust’s term expires, what is left goes to your heirs. Handling assets in this way can shelter the assets’ appreciation from estate taxes.

Before considering any of these choices, please note that we cannot provide legal advice as a non-profit. Please consult your attorney or relevant estate planners.